Saturday, April 4, 2009

indie music

Amazon.com, has posted a very interesting article (not an article though, more like a list) about the top 100 indie albums of all time. It is a good list and I think that it will remind us of albums we listen back then, most of them I still listen to, actualy. It is a good opportunity to check out albums and groups that never had the time or the opportunity to listen to, cause this list got me unprepared. I never heard for example the early works of Eliot Smith, even "better" I never heard any album of Neutral Milk Hotel or Unrest or Slint and many more, and it is with great surprise that I found them at the very first of this list, between the top 10. I hope that this list will be a starting point to learn about differentiality in music (if I have grasped the meaning of indie this could be a good point), to listen to new tunes (some of the groups are no longer active, others keep it on for more than 20 years) and to talk about the music (or the list).

so the link to the list is here

By the way I can not understand under what criteria belle and sebastian's "
If You're Feeling Sinister" is at this list and not the "The Boy with the Arab Strap"...maybe the selection was based upon the album that make the band known to a wider audience. Who knows...

2 comments:

Christoforos said...

WTF!!!

Is this list a ranking or just a list? And if it's ranked how can Daydream Nation be only 12th???

this is the record that started everything. how come pavement and the pixies outrank the Sonic Youth?

Crap!

trotos said...

Well after a small talk with a friend of mine, who apparently is more to indie than me, she told me that the list could actually be a top 100 list, and also Guided By Voices considered to be top indie band, for various reasons and I could say that in the end that those bands at the first places where the spirit of indie, or something.

So in a few words I would say thatit is a top smthng list